Monday, December 15, 2008

MCS

A friend asked me more about my illness, how I found out and some symptoms, and I though I would post part of that reply.
How do I start? Let's see. About 12 years ago I was exposed to a chemical, from a machine burning, that within 5 min I was passing out. Luckily a friend had walked over to see if I was ok and put his hand behind me so I sunk to the floor instead of going over backwards into the bench behind me. I went down 4 more times before they sent me out side and then home for the day. I was very sick the rest of the week and anytime the smell I would pass out. Over the next 6 months this occurred lots of times. The problem was then fixed and things seemed to get better. I then started to react to more chemicals almost like an allergy and over the next five years it go worse. I started to go to the doctor a lot and had a lot of different test run with no results found. I was getting so tired and was down to working under 30 hours a week on the weeks I wasn't working overtime. They were running a high stress management style at the time and it was a constant pressure. I went to me doctor one day and just told him it felt like my body was shutting down. He told me that he could tell my organs were shutting down but didn't have a test for it. He encouraged me to turn to alternative doctors. My mom heard of one in Salt Lake City and went to a seminar and happened to me him. Dr. Jewkes took in cases from across the country that medical doctors couldn't diagnose. When I came home that year for Christmas I went down and saw him. He put the label on my illness and gave me some herbal medicine that really helped. It took several years to figure out at that point with chemical was causing which symptoms. Because it had been so many years and I was so bad he thought the best I could get would be to go back to 50%, which I have passed.
There is now a test doctors can give that involves caffeine and there is some medicine that they can use on the market.
Dr. Jewkes was starting his last year of medical school when the school closed. They gave the students a couple options. Transfer to another school or go to Europe and become a holistic doctor. He chose Europe. He does acupuncture as well as holistic medicine. His tests are based on the electric flow through the body. There are different places you can get similar test but not many with the education to understand what it really means.
I can pull up most illnesses and find my symptoms in them. I have learned that there are only a few different symptoms for most illnesses. Because of the different chemicals no one that has my illness have the same symptoms. The majority of the cases are from long-term exposure to a chemical and not a rapid exposure like mine. One of the symptoms held in common is rapid weight gain or loss when exposed to the chemical. The majority is weight loss. Another is the fainting or dizziness when around chemical.
My worst symptoms? Well other than my organs shutting down. When I would get to much lithium chloride, like touching my pen with it on my fingers and then putting the pen in my mouth, that was hallucinations, passing out, personality change and intestinal cramping, that put me on the ground in tears to the point I couldn't talk. The fact that my ribs move when ever they want. The total exhaustion that makes it had to talk or move. When the stress of work puts me close to emotional breakdown point so that I snap at people. The brain problems, like there is circuits missing, I would say something and be told that only the second half of the thought was actually verbalized. No wonder people are often confused by what I say. Being so tired that I would be walking and realize that I had been standing for 5 min in the middle of the hall asleep. Being so cold that I can't get warm especially on a 100-decree day. No being able to recover from an injury because my muscles are so full of chemicals it stops the healing possess. Being so tired I sleep through days and weeks, sometimes doing daily tasks and others just getting out of be to eat and go to the bathroom. The very worst was losing some of my friends because they couldn't understand that I was really ill and wasn't just avoiding them.
How’s that for a book of an answer?

No comments:

A place where I can put thoughts and pictures for my family and friends. I will also share some of the effects having Multiple Chemical Syndrome has had on my life. MCS has been described as a chronic disease caused by an intolerance (lack of the substance needed for digestion) to an environmental chemical. Then other chemicals can and do start building up in the body. The different chemical effect people differently and can cause secondary damage to your organs if not taken care of.